Join this 30 minute adventure at Habarana or Sigiriya city area.
Riding on the back of the amazing giant in the wild would be an incredible experience in life. An elephant ride Sri Lanka will be a great opportunity to be so close to the majestic beast, while enjoying the views of nature, wild life and traditional lifestyles of the people in rural villages in Sri Lanka. Moreover, an elephant ride in Sri Lanka would allow you to observe the surroundings in a closer proximity. More than all the facts mentioned above, may be the most precious experience of this activity is getting to share a day in the life of an elephant.
Usually, well tamed elephants are used for these safaris and certainly the elephant will be accompanied by the mahout. During an elephant ride Sri Lanka, the passengers would be safely carried in a wooden saddle, which is a basket like enclosure fixed upon a wooden platform and placed on the back of the elephant. The saddle would carry four passengers at a time, safely and comfortably. The riders should be alerted to bend down a bit when necessary in order to avoid being knocked by the branches of trees along the path during the journey.
In addition to riding on the back of the elephant and enjoying the natural surroundings and wildlife of the area, you would be able to observe the behaviors and the habitats of this marvelous mammal on earth. It is up to the holiday makers to share the day with the wondrous giant in certain ways like picnicking in the bush under the shadow of elephant either bathing, grooming or feeding it as well. It would be so exciting to see how obedient an elephant is once tamed and trained properly. Surpassing the massive physical strength of this giant in the wild, the mahout is capable of handling the elephant by giving the verbal commands in a special language and using the simple weapon called the ‘goad’.
Habarana and Sigiriya are the most popular location in Sri Lanka for elephant safari rides. Habarana is located 210km north east from Colombo and is the transit point of the large herds of wild elephants at the National Parks of Minneriya and Kaudulla. Further, Habarana is a popular location among the wildlife enthusiasts and nature tourists. The irrigation reservoirs and waterways of the area bring in a riverine terrain where the elephants would wade through, or swim to reach the banks in the farther end. The ride would also take place over the main road, the pathways, villages, jungles, swamp and river.
No need to think twice about grabbing this unique experience through an exciting elephant ride while holidaying in the precious island Sri Lanka, which is a splendor of nature indeed.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off by a Safari jeep or Tuk Tuk
(Sigiriya & Habarana area Hotels only)
- Elephant back ride charges
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
Departure Time Comments:
- You can choose any time during 9 am to 5pm for this Elephant Ride.
- Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
- Hotel pickups commence prior to this time. you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Departure Location Name:
Pickup & drop off – Hotels in Habarana and Sigiriya city area.
Directions to Departure Location:
# Hiriwadunna Safari No 4 – Habarana
# A Village Safari , Sigiriya.
Returns to original departure point
Additional Tour Information:
- For Same day & Next day bookings, Please you must contact us by calling or SMS with mention exact pickup Location
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints, back problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Due to rugged surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- For pickup & drop-off from Polonnaruwa & other area hotels can arrange by an additional fee. Please call us in advance.
- Please include your Mobile / Local contact number & Hotel pickup details in the booking